If you're watering your grass properly, but it's pale green or yellow instead of dark green, your turf is most likely nutrient deficient. Yellow lawns generally lack key nutrients such as iron and nitrogen. Such deficiencies cause your grass to experience growth problems, including chlorosis, a condition that occurs when the green chlorophyll in the grass leaf tissue doesn't develop. Chlorophyll fails to be produced when there is a lack of iron in the turf. With mild iron deficiences, lawns will yellow, but with severe iron chlorosis, turfgrass can die.1 Iron and nitrogen deficiencies can often occur simultaneously.2
Recipe for the Perfect Lawn: Pennington's Ironite Formula
- 20 percent iron. Adequate iron helps ensure a healthy, deep green lawn that doesn't grow excessively.
- 50 percent of the nitrogen content is slow release. Sufficient nitrogen results in healthy, vigorous turfgrass growth.2 Slow release nitrogen is ideal, as it leads to even grass growth, won't burn the lawn and surrounding plants, and is longer lasting, which means less frequent fertilizing.3
- AST (Advanced Soil Technology). A linear polymer, AST improves the physical characteristics of the soil, which ensures maximum plant performance. It also helps to improve water penetration and minimize soil loss.
- Beneficial microbes. A healthy soil contains a dynamic, microscopic ecosystem teeming with life. Beneficial microbes increase the organic activity in the soil, which helps turf and plants use the ingredients in the product more effectively and efficiently. This assists grass in taking up and using naturally occurring nutrients in the soil, resulting in a greener lawn.
Ideal for summer application, Ironite Mineral Supplement 1-0-1 provides the greening a cool-season lawn may need during hot weather, without the stressful nutrient uptake of lawn fertilizer. This product also provides warm-season turf a greenup without the turf fertilizer-induced growth surge that results in additional mowing.
For best results, use Ironite Mineral Supplement 1-0-1 throughout the year in conjunction with your regular fertilization program. Always apply the product according to the directions on the package.
A healthy, attractive lawn is within reach if you choose the right mineral supplement product to enhance your turf. Apply Ironite Mineral Supplement 1-0-1, and you'll soon be looking at a yard full of vibrant, green grass.
*When used as directed.
Ironite is a registered trademark of Central Garden & Pet Company. AST and Advanced Soil Technology are trademarks of Encap, LLC
1. Richard L. Duble, "Iron Chlorosis in Turfgrass," Texas A & M Agrilife Extension
2. C. J. Rosen, et al, "Fertilizing Lawns," University of Minnesota Extension
3. "Fertilizers - Quick-Release and Slow-Release Nitrogen - What's the difference?" The Lawn Institute
Topics: Lawn Care